Despite the decades long,on-going debate in regards to recommendations on circumcisions, more well-researched scientific studies continue to show the medical benefits of circumcision.
Benefits of Circumcision include:
- Reduced risk of urinary tract infection and penile infection (also referred to as balanoposthitis)
- 60% reduction in Aids transmission
- 30% reduction in herpes and human papilloma virus transmission which causes mineral warts, cancer of the cervix and cancer of the penis
- Eliminates the risk of developing Phimosis or Balanitis later in life
- Improves hygiene-more importantly in elderly males
- Possible link between circumcision and a reduced risk of prostate cancer, sexual dysfunction and vaginal infection in partners of circumcised men
Due to the researched benefits and the publics’ growing awareness of the importance of circumcision as it pertains to medical benefits and reduced risk of diseases, some of which are potentially deadly like Aids, many physicians have found a significant spike in the demand for infant circumcisions.
As a result, one local physician, Dr. Graham Lohlun, conducted extensive research on the various surgical approaches and anesthetic (pain control) protocols for circumcision available today. Dr. Lohlun found one physician in Canada who has dedicated most of his professional career to finding and researching what he considers the quickest, safest and least uncomfortable circumcision for infants.
The technique and methodology is called the “Pollock Technique™” and was developed by Dr. Neil Pollock in Vancouver. Dr. Pollock has demonstrated the safety of this method and has nearly perfected a virtually painless 30-second technique through the 35,000 circumcisions that he has performed over the last 20 years.
Eager to carefully study the “Pollock Technique™” and bring this method to Edmonton, Dr. Lohlun moved to Vancouver for some time where he worked intensively with Dr. Pollock. Performing hundreds of surgeries on models and then on real patients under Dr. Pollock’s careful supervision, Dr. Lohlun has become highly proficient in the practice of Pollock’s method and has now brought this 30-second, virtually painless technique to Edmonton.